website improvements

Tom Henderson-2
Hi all,
Today I mentioned a few changes to our main website, being funded by the
ns-3 Consortium.

1) we now have a search capability in the menubar that searches the
domain ns-3.

2) we have a capability to rotate the top image on a carousel.  If
people would like to share some compelling images or animations of ns-3,
please send to me and we can discuss further.  We may also build up a
'Gallery' of screenshots to highlight how people are using ns-3.  For
instance, the LTE Radio Environment Maps are nice visualizations to share.

3) we are soon going to restore the Bibtex conversion that allows us to
maintain Bibtex files with publications 'about ns-3' or 'using ns-3' in
a repository, and render them nicely on the site.  This will be under
the 'Research' tab.  We will also build a list of key citations for
ns-3, and place on the page.  This will allow us to list publications
that should be cited by researchers who want to cite the use of ns-3 or
one of its modules such as LTE.

4) All previous news item posts are now accessible on a separate page.

5) We still have some content migration to perform from the old site (a
few old WNS3 pages, for instance).

We can use help, from people interested to contribute, in the following
ways:

1) if you have a course that uses ns-3 in some way, can you please
inform us and allow us to build up our Education page?

2) screenshots or animations to feature (see above)

3) we could use help to review citations from ACM DL, IEEE DL, and
Google Scholar, to build up our lists of ns-3 publications.

4) content migration or new content (screenshots).  The framework is
based on Jekyll and it is easy to add pages and use Markdown to author
content, and send merge requests as we do on ns-3-dev.

Anyone interested to help with these tasks, please contact me directly.

Re: website improvements

getachew.redieteab
Hi Tom,

Just a small comment concerning item 1. It would be nice to also have the GitLab repo (i.e. the whole nsnam project) in the search target. E.g. Performing a search on 11ax mainly points to Bugzilla issues...
Another useful search target would be the ns-developers mail archives, especially considering yesterday's recommendation.

Best regards,

Rediet

Thank you.

Re: website improvements

Tom Henderson-2
On 6/19/20 12:23 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Just a small comment concerning item 1. It would be nice to also have the GitLab repo (i.e. the whole nsnam project) in the search target. E.g. Performing a search on 11ax mainly points to Bugzilla issues...
> Another useful search target would be the ns-developers mail archives, especially considering yesterday's recommendation.

Rediet, I increased the scope to include the ns-developers archives,
ns-3-users Google Group, and gitlab.com/nsnam, but for the latter, it
appears that GitLab.com doesn't appear in Google searches.

Re: website improvements

getachew.redieteab
Hi Tom,

Thanks.
BTW, the search seems to retrieve info from GitLab anyways: the link below appears in second position when searching for "11ax".

wifi: Refactoring to prepare 11ax OFDMA (!95) · Merge Requests ...
https://gitlab.com/nsnam/ns-3-dev/-/merge_requests/95

A more focused search would be "11ax gitlab", which returns 44 results.

Best regards,

Rediet

Thank you.