maintainers meeting on June 23, 2020

Tom Henderson-2
As I mentioned at today's consortium meeting, I would like to have a
maintainers meeting to discuss a few items (mainly the plan for the next
release cycle).  The date and time are June 23, 14:00 UTC, and the
duration is one hour.  Anyone interested may join; meeting details are
posted on the below wiki page:

https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/MaintainersJune2020

Re: maintainers meeting on June 23, 2020

Natale Patriciello
On 19/06/20 at 12:54am, Tom Henderson wrote:
> As I mentioned at today's consortium meeting, I would like to have a
> maintainers meeting to discuss a few items (mainly the plan for the next
> release cycle).  The date and time are June 23, 14:00 UTC, and the duration
> is one hour.  Anyone interested may join; meeting details are posted on the
> below wiki page:
>
> https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/MaintainersJune2020

Hello all,

for what regard some points that emerged on the today's call, here's my
notes, in which the baseline is the old acronym KISS:

*) We started talking about a LTS version. I would say that LTS is not
needed, it will add burden on the maintainer without any additional
benefit for the maintainer themselves, so my vote is for no LTS
releases (like the majority, as I understood).

*) The current CI/CD on Gitlab can be expanded to test more distribution
with or without optional packages installed (e.g., sqlite3, openmpi,
boost...), maybe tested monthly (or manually before the release). It is
really easy to do. This point can be outsourced to some student.

*) After the release I will merge the python bindings CI/CD script,
to rescan the bindings of a module (e.g., launch before sleeping, check
the result in the morning). Due to limited time, only one module can be
tested per job (but multiple jobs can be launched in parallel).

*) Talking about rolling releases, one month freeze is too much. It is
probably enough one week before the release date, and one week after the
release date (to discover any installation issues on different
platforms) to issue point releases with quick fixes. With three releases
per year (21 December - 21 April - 21 September), considering more gap during
summer vacations, it means 6 freezing weeks (brrr), that probably we can
afford. Given the two points above, with the CI/CD we should have a less
painful release cycle, avoiding complex branching, still making a
good service to the users. The real step is starting using it (which I
doubt that we daily use the services of the Gitlab CI/CD infrastructure
in our development branches, except for the per-commit tests).

*) Chat-services: Historically I have been contrary, and still believe
in the superiority of mails and gitlab issues/mr comments. If no one
answers to the email, probably the topic isn't interesting, and
discussing it through chat or by voice doesn't make it automatically
more interesting.

Thanks for the meeting,

Have a nice day

Nat

On 6/18/20 5:54 PM, Tom Henderson wrote:
> As I mentioned at today's consortium meeting, I would like to have a
> maintainers meeting to discuss a few items (mainly the plan for the
> next release cycle).  The date and time are June 23, 14:00 UTC, and
> the duration is one hour.  Anyone interested may join; meeting details
> are posted on the below wiki page:
>
> https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/MaintainersJune2020

Peter provided meeting notes, which I have posted at the same wiki page.

- Tom