Wi-Fi adjacent channel modeling through transmit spectrum mask (OFDM)

Wi-Fi adjacent channel modeling through transmit spectrum mask (OFDM)

getachew.redieteab
Hello all,

I was planning on developing, in the coming weeks, the transmit spectrum mask defined for OFDM-based Wi-Fi standards (within the WifiSpectrumValueHelper) so as to be able to model adjacent channel interference. While submitting the idea to Tom, he suggested to query the ns-developers list; Is there anybody out that had already addressed the issue?

BR,

Rediet

PS : Thanks Tom for the potentially time-saving suggestion.

Thank you.

Re: Wi-Fi adjacent channel modeling through transmit spectrum mask (OFDM)

Manoj Rana
Hi,

I am not in this field. But, I want to ask you one question due to
curiosity: "Is OFDM technology used in Wifi, 802.11, in the standard". It
may be used by any research test some results. Generally, OFDM is used in
LTE and LTE-A. So, implementing in WiFi is a good choice, but, think about
practical feasibility.

Regards,
Manoj

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 3:44 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was planning on developing, in the coming weeks, the transmit spectrum
> mask defined for OFDM-based Wi-Fi standards (within the
> WifiSpectrumValueHelper) so as to be able to model adjacent channel
> interference. While submitting the idea to Tom, he suggested to query the
> ns-developers list; Is there anybody out that had already addressed the
> issue?
>
> BR,
>
> Rediet
>
> PS : Thanks Tom for the potentially time-saving suggestion.

> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez
> recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages
> Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou
> falsifie. Merci.

> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and
> modified, changed or falsified.
> Thank you.

Re: Wi-Fi adjacent channel modeling through transmit spectrum mask (OFDM)

getachew.redieteab
Hi Manoj,

It is true that OFDM is used by quite a few radio technologies, and ns-3 already has models for some of them. However, the aim of my question was to check whether someone had already enriched their existing SpectrumPhy implementations with the standard defined transmit spectrum masks. So the goal is not to implement OFDM for Wi-Fi in ns-3 (which has already been done, and very nicely done) but rather work on the fact that transmit spectrum is not as ideal (i.e. rectangle shaped power spectral density) as currently assumed in the WifiSpectrumValueHelper.
Clearly, and as you pointed out, this is just a first step to model adjacent channel interference within Wi-Fi. If this technique is found to be interesting enough, the impact of other technologies in adjacent bands (namely LAA for coexistence issues within the 5 GHz band) can also be evaluated this way.
By the way, considering the fact that Wi-Fi specific features are in WifiSpectrumValueHelper and that transmit spectrum masks are technology specific (and can even have some specific rules within the same technology), it is difficult to have a technology-agnostic implementation of it.

BR,

Rediet

Thank you.

Re: Wi-Fi adjacent channel modeling through transmit spectrum mask (OFDM)

sebastien.deronne@gmail.com
Hi Rediet,

This is not implemented yet as far as I know, this was in my todo list as a future enhancement.
Feel free to contact me for help/support if you plan to take this up.

Kind regards,
Sébastien.

> Le 13 juin 2017 à 00:14, [hidden email] a écrit :
>
> Hello all,
>
> I was planning on developing, in the coming weeks, the transmit spectrum mask defined for OFDM-based Wi-Fi standards (within the WifiSpectrumValueHelper) so as to be able to model adjacent channel interference. While submitting the idea to Tom, he suggested to query the ns-developers list; Is there anybody out that had already addressed the issue?
>
> BR,
>
> Rediet
>
> PS : Thanks Tom for the potentially time-saving suggestion.

> Thank you.

Re: Wi-Fi adjacent channel modeling through transmit spectrum mask (OFDM)

getachew.redieteab
Hi Sébastien,

Thanks for your reply. I'll take it up then and will post the code for review.

BR,

Rediet

This is not implemented yet as far as I know, this was in my todo list as a future enhancement.
Feel free to contact me for help/support if you plan to take this up.

Kind regards,
Sébastien.

> Le 13 juin 2017 à 00:14, [hidden email] a écrit :
>
> Hello all,
>
> I was planning on developing, in the coming weeks, the transmit spectrum mask defined for OFDM-based Wi-Fi standards (within the WifiSpectrumValueHelper) so as to be able to model adjacent channel interference. While submitting the idea to Tom, he suggested to query the ns-developers list; Is there anybody out that had already addressed the issue?
>
> BR,
>
> Rediet
>
> PS : Thanks Tom for the potentially time-saving suggestion.

> confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc pas etre diffuses,
> exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message
> par erreur, veuillez le signaler a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration, Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.
>
> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information that may be protected by law; they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
> Thank you.

Thank you.