Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore

Abhijith Anilkumar
Hello Everyone.

This is the week 6 update for ns-3 App Store project.

Work done in past week:
- Fixed design issues mentioned in the last week's report
- Modified the design to support smaller screens.
- Added bakefile support (Needs to finalize the fields accepted from
bakeconf)
- Added new download page

Work planned for the next week:
- Fix remaining frontend issues (minor issues like displaying stars)
- Modify the current comments section to create a comments thread
- Start building the test suite (To be completed as a Phase 2 Deliverable)

Issues:
We have not yet finalized the system to rate the modules in the store. If
you have comments regarding this, please let me know. Normal average
function will give us highly inconsistent ratings. So, as of now, we are
thinking of implementing a weighted average system.

Any feedback or comments will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Abhijith
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Fwd: Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore

Barnes, Peter D.
[Forwarding to developers’ list per Tom’s request]

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Barnes <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Subject: Re: [Ns-developers] Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore
Date: July 12, 2017 at 12:14:33 PM PDT
To: Abhijith Anilkumar <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Cc: Tom Henderson <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>

Hello Abhijith,

I’m really pleased to see the progress you’ve made.

I have a few minor suggestions going forward:

- Ratings:

ATM your Rating page asks “How do you rate this page?”  I think in the long run it would be useful to rate the page (the module description) separately from the module itself.

For presenting ratings, I find the histograms more useful than a scalar statistic.  For example, look at the Google Maps “Review summary” section for this local restaurant:
https://goo.gl/maps/CZw4d6jm5zr


- Site links and styling:

(These are more refinements, rather than basic functionality.)

I suggest the title area ns-3 logo should link to the main ns-3 site, and the “App Store” text link to the app store home page.

For continuity of branding, I suggest we make the app story style as similar as possible to existing ns-3 sites, such as the main web page and generated docs.  It doesn’t take much.  The resources used are all in doc/ns3_html_theme/

For example, the title bar is

<div id=titlearea>…

with style from s3_stylesheet.css:

#titlearea {
  background-image:url('bar-top.png');
  background-repeat:repeat;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #5B5B5B;
  color: white;  # probably irrelevant
}


My most important comment is the first line of this message.  Keep up the good work!

Peter



On Jul 12, 2017, at 7:26 AM, Abhijith Anilkumar <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hello Everyone.

This is the week 6 update for ns-3 App Store project.

Work done in past week:
- Fixed design issues mentioned in the last week's report
- Modified the design to support smaller screens.
- Added bakefile support (Needs to finalize the fields accepted from
bakeconf)
- Added new download page

Work planned for the next week:
- Fix remaining frontend issues (minor issues like displaying stars)
- Modify the current comments section to create a comments thread
- Start building the test suite (To be completed as a Phase 2 Deliverable)

Issues:
We have not yet finalized the system to rate the modules in the store. If
you have comments regarding this, please let me know. Normal average
function will give us highly inconsistent ratings. So, as of now, we are
thinking of implementing a weighted average system.

Any feedback or comments will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Abhijith

_____________________________________________________________
Dr. Peter D. Barnes, Jr. NACS Division
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Physical and Life Sciences
7000 East Avenue, L-50 email:  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
P. O. Box 808 Voice:  (925) 422-3384
Livermore, California 94550 Fax:    (925) 423-3371





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fwd: Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore

Tom Henderson-2
Peter,
I have a few responses on your suggestions below.

On 07/12/2017 12:38 PM, Barnes, Peter D. wrote:

> [Forwarding to developers’ list per Tom’s request]
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Peter Barnes <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Subject: Re: [Ns-developers] Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore
> Date: July 12, 2017 at 12:14:33 PM PDT
> To: Abhijith Anilkumar <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Cc: Tom Henderson <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
> Hello Abhijith,
>
> I’m really pleased to see the progress you’ve made.
>
> I have a few minor suggestions going forward:
>
> - Ratings:
>
> ATM your Rating page asks “How do you rate this page?”  I think in the long run it would be useful to rate the page (the module description) separately from the module itself.

I agree that we prefer to rate the module, not the page.  One area that
we will need to work out is the feedback process.  I think it would be
helpful to allow users to provide constructive feedback, but prefer not
to introduce mechanisms that could be abused (e.g. spammed).  From my
perspective, having ratings or review feature would be nice to have but
could be added at a future date once we have better requirements.

>
> For presenting ratings, I find the histograms more useful than a scalar statistic.  For example, look at the Google Maps “Review summary” section for this local restaurant:
> https://goo.gl/maps/CZw4d6jm5zr
>
>
> - Site links and styling:
>
> (These are more refinements, rather than basic functionality.)
>
> I suggest the title area ns-3 logo should link to the main ns-3 site, and the “App Store” text link to the app store home page.
>
> For continuity of branding, I suggest we make the app story style as similar as possible to existing ns-3 sites, such as the main web page and generated docs.  It doesn’t take much.  The resources used are all in doc/ns3_html_theme/

I think that trying to have the title bar consistent across doxygen,
manual, tutorial, and this page, would be a nice integration. Otherwise,
I have requested that Abhijith make it resemble the Cytoscape page as
much as possible, and he is going to focus on those style changes over
the next few days.

- Tom

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fwd: Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore

Abhijith Anilkumar
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your feedback. I'll incorporate your suggestions, along with
Tom's and it will be done in the next few days. For the rating part, I'm
leaving it as it is for now, and will work on it once we have a stable
design.

- Abhijith

On Thu 13 Jul, 2017, 2:56 AM Tom Henderson, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter,
> I have a few responses on your suggestions below.
>
> On 07/12/2017 12:38 PM, Barnes, Peter D. wrote:
> > [Forwarding to developers’ list per Tom’s request]
> >
> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > From: Peter Barnes <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> > Subject: Re: [Ns-developers] Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore
> > Date: July 12, 2017 at 12:14:33 PM PDT
> > To: Abhijith Anilkumar <[hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]>>
> > Cc: Tom Henderson <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> >
> > Hello Abhijith,
> >
> > I’m really pleased to see the progress you’ve made.
> >
> > I have a few minor suggestions going forward:
> >
> > - Ratings:
> >
> > ATM your Rating page asks “How do you rate this page?”  I think in the
> long run it would be useful to rate the page (the module description)
> separately from the module itself.
>
> I agree that we prefer to rate the module, not the page.  One area that
> we will need to work out is the feedback process.  I think it would be
> helpful to allow users to provide constructive feedback, but prefer not
> to introduce mechanisms that could be abused (e.g. spammed).  From my
> perspective, having ratings or review feature would be nice to have but
> could be added at a future date once we have better requirements.
>
> >
> > For presenting ratings, I find the histograms more useful than a scalar
> statistic.  For example, look at the Google Maps “Review summary” section
> for this local restaurant:
> > https://goo.gl/maps/CZw4d6jm5zr
> >
> >
> > - Site links and styling:
> >
> > (These are more refinements, rather than basic functionality.)
> >
> > I suggest the title area ns-3 logo should link to the main ns-3 site,
> and the “App Store” text link to the app store home page.
> >
> > For continuity of branding, I suggest we make the app story style as
> similar as possible to existing ns-3 sites, such as the main web page and
> generated docs.  It doesn’t take much.  The resources used are all in
> doc/ns3_html_theme/
>
> I think that trying to have the title bar consistent across doxygen,
> manual, tutorial, and this page, would be a nice integration. Otherwise,
> I have requested that Abhijith make it resemble the Cytoscape page as
> much as possible, and he is going to focus on those style changes over
> the next few days.
>
> - Tom
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fwd: Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore

Ankit Deepak
Hello Abhijith,

My query might be out of the scope of the project or maybe it comes too
early but here it goes:

Right now I see that your bakeconf for sift v1.0 goes like :
http://ns-apps.ee.washington.edu/media/release_files/2017-06-29/sift.xml.
Which if I am not wrong translates to the fact that you are storing it at a
path "media/release_files/<upload date>/<module>.xml" with respect to your
home url.

Now going by a fact that we are trying to allow the user to fetch a module
through bake just by using its name and version, is it possible to make
this url something which can be built just by using a common known path (
http://ns-apps.ee.washington.edu/media/release_files), name (sift) and
version (1.0), so that bake can work like

*bake fetch sift 1.0* => get conf file from (
http://ns-apps.ee.washington.edu/media/release_files/sift-v1_0.xml) or
something similar.

 As I already mentioned, I am not sure if this is in scope of your project
and I will let you and Tom sir to decide that.

Thanks,
Ankit

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:34 PM, Abhijith Anilkumar <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thank you for your feedback. I'll incorporate your suggestions, along with
> Tom's and it will be done in the next few days. For the rating part, I'm
> leaving it as it is for now, and will work on it once we have a stable
> design.
>
> - Abhijith
>
> On Thu 13 Jul, 2017, 2:56 AM Tom Henderson, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Peter,
> > I have a few responses on your suggestions below.
> >
> > On 07/12/2017 12:38 PM, Barnes, Peter D. wrote:
> > > [Forwarding to developers’ list per Tom’s request]
> > >
> > > Begin forwarded message:
> > >
> > > From: Peter Barnes <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> > > Subject: Re: [Ns-developers] Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on
> AppStore
> > > Date: July 12, 2017 at 12:14:33 PM PDT
> > > To: Abhijith Anilkumar <[hidden email]<mailto:
> > [hidden email]>>
> > > Cc: Tom Henderson <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> > >
> > > Hello Abhijith,
> > >
> > > I’m really pleased to see the progress you’ve made.
> > >
> > > I have a few minor suggestions going forward:
> > >
> > > - Ratings:
> > >
> > > ATM your Rating page asks “How do you rate this page?”  I think in the
> > long run it would be useful to rate the page (the module description)
> > separately from the module itself.
> >
> > I agree that we prefer to rate the module, not the page.  One area that
> > we will need to work out is the feedback process.  I think it would be
> > helpful to allow users to provide constructive feedback, but prefer not
> > to introduce mechanisms that could be abused (e.g. spammed).  From my
> > perspective, having ratings or review feature would be nice to have but
> > could be added at a future date once we have better requirements.
> >
> > >
> > > For presenting ratings, I find the histograms more useful than a scalar
> > statistic.  For example, look at the Google Maps “Review summary” section
> > for this local restaurant:
> > > https://goo.gl/maps/CZw4d6jm5zr
> > >
> > >
> > > - Site links and styling:
> > >
> > > (These are more refinements, rather than basic functionality.)
> > >
> > > I suggest the title area ns-3 logo should link to the main ns-3 site,
> > and the “App Store” text link to the app store home page.
> > >
> > > For continuity of branding, I suggest we make the app story style as
> > similar as possible to existing ns-3 sites, such as the main web page and
> > generated docs.  It doesn’t take much.  The resources used are all in
> > doc/ns3_html_theme/
> >
> > I think that trying to have the title bar consistent across doxygen,
> > manual, tutorial, and this page, would be a nice integration. Otherwise,
> > I have requested that Abhijith make it resemble the Cytoscape page as
> > much as possible, and he is going to focus on those style changes over
> > the next few days.
> >
> > - Tom
> >
> >
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fwd: Week 6 Update: GSoC 2017 Project on AppStore

Tom Henderson-2
On 07/14/2017 11:31 AM, Ankit Deepak wrote:

> Hello Abhijith,
>
> My query might be out of the scope of the project or maybe it comes
> too early but here it goes:
>
> Right now I see that your bakeconf for sift v1.0 goes like :
> http://ns-apps.ee.washington.edu/media/release_files/2017-06-29/sift.xml.
> Which if I am not wrong translates to the fact that you are storing it
> at a path "media/release_files/<upload date>/<module>.xml" with
> respect to your home url.
>
> Now going by a fact that we are trying to allow the user to fetch a
> module through bake just by using its name and version, is it possible
> to make this url something which can be built just by using a common
> known path (http://ns-apps.ee.washington.edu/media/release_files),
> name (sift) and version (1.0), so that bake can work like
>
> /bake fetch sift 1.0/ => get conf file from
> (http://ns-apps.ee.washington.edu/media/release_files/sift-v1_0.xml)
> or something similar.
>
>  As I already mentioned, I am not sure if this is in scope of your
> project and I will let you and Tom sir to decide that.

I think this is within the scope of the project to answer these types of
questions; I don't think this issue has a huge coding impact for
Abhijith (more so for bake).

It seems to me that we may want to prefer that the metadata associated
with a module is stored with that module, and the appstore (and bake)
are directed to fetch it from the URL.  This allows a developer to
register once with the appstore, and then later perform updates without
ns-3 maintainer interaction or without uploading XML updates to the server.

So, for instance, for a given module, we could ask that the module
conform to the standard module layout of files and directories, and
include a bakeconf-modulename.xml in its top level directory.  We'd then
need bake to be able to handle this (if given a URL to the xml instead
of the actual xml, that it will fetch the latest).

Then finally, you are suggesting Ankit to allow bake to consult a
well-known place to obtain this xml, which also improves usability. So
it may then lead to a system where if the user learns somehow about the
module, and asks bake for it, bake first checks if it has the
corresponding XML, or a URL from which to fetch the XML, and failing
that, it queries the app store server for the XML using the naming
convention (where it may also be redirected by URL to another repository).

- Tom
Loading...