Waf 1.9 upgrade

Vedran Miletić-2
Hi everyone,

I gave a shot to Waf 1.9 upgrade (to 1.9.0pre3 to be precise), turns out
to be a lot easier than expected. Patch is at [1], including a small
refactoring of class names for consistency. I would not push the patch
until after 3.26 is released and the final version of Waf 1.9.0 is
available.

I tried debug and optimized build with tests, examples, suid bit,
changing compiler to clang, passing CXXFLAGS; all of these features work
fine. I don't have a setup where I can do apiscan and I would really
appreciate if someone can try it, as well as anything else you use.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
Vedran

[1] https://codereview.appspot.com/298540043/

Vedran Miletić
https://vedran.miletic.net/

Re: Waf 1.9 upgrade

Vedran Miletić-2
On 06/19/2016 08:00 PM, Vedran Miletić wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I gave a shot to Waf 1.9 upgrade (to 1.9.0pre3 to be precise), turns out
> to be a lot easier than expected. Patch is at [1], including a small
> refactoring of class names for consistency. I would not push the patch
> until after 3.26 is released and the final version of Waf 1.9.0 is
> available.
>
> I tried debug and optimized build with tests, examples, suid bit,
> changing compiler to clang, passing CXXFLAGS; all of these features work
> fine. I don't have a setup where I can do apiscan and I would really
> appreciate if someone can try it, as well as anything else you use.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>
> Regards,
> Vedran
>
> [1] https://codereview.appspot.com/298540043/

Hi again,

I noticed Python bindings were failing due to a bug in Waf [1]. With
this bug fixed in Waf 1.9.2, the patch [2] upgrades ns-3's Waf to 1.9.2
and and fixes wscripts.

Feedback/testing is welcome.

Regards,
Vedran

[1] https://github.com/waf-project/waf/issues/1791
[2] https://codereview.appspot.com/298540043/#ps40001

Vedran Miletić
vedran.miletic.net

Re: Waf 1.9 upgrade

Tom Henderson-2
On 08/01/2016 07:47 AM, Vedran Miletić wrote:

> On 06/19/2016 08:00 PM, Vedran Miletić wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I gave a shot to Waf 1.9 upgrade (to 1.9.0pre3 to be precise), turns out
>> to be a lot easier than expected. Patch is at [1], including a small
>> refactoring of class names for consistency. I would not push the patch
>> until after 3.26 is released and the final version of Waf 1.9.0 is
>> available.
>>
>> I tried debug and optimized build with tests, examples, suid bit,
>> changing compiler to clang, passing CXXFLAGS; all of these features work
>> fine. I don't have a setup where I can do apiscan and I would really
>> appreciate if someone can try it, as well as anything else you use.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vedran
>>
>> [1] https://codereview.appspot.com/298540043/
>>

> Hi again,
>
> I noticed Python bindings were failing due to a bug in Waf [1]. With
> this bug fixed in Waf 1.9.2, the patch [2] upgrades ns-3's Waf to 1.9.2
> and and fixes wscripts.
>
> Feedback/testing is welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Vedran

Hi Vedran, we are on 1.8.19 in ns-3-dev since we are close to release.
I'm not aware of any issues with that version.  I think we can plan to
move to 1.9.2 after the release occurs.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Waf 1.9 upgrade

Vedran Miletić-2
On 08/01/2016 06:35 PM, Tom Henderson wrote:
> Hi Vedran, we are on 1.8.19 in ns-3-dev since we are close to release.
> I'm not aware of any issues with that version.  I think we can plan to
> move to 1.9.2 after the release occurs.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Hi Tom,

that would surely work for me.

Regards,
Vedran

Vedran Miletić
vedran.miletic.net

Re: Waf 1.9 upgrade

Vedran Miletić-2
01.08.2016 u 20:15, Vedran Miletić je napisao/la:

> On 08/01/2016 06:35 PM, Tom Henderson wrote:
>> Hi Vedran, we are on 1.8.19 in ns-3-dev since we are close to release.
>> I'm not aware of any issues with that version.  I think we can plan to
>> move to 1.9.2 after the release occurs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom
>>

> Hi Tom,
>
> that would surely work for me.
>
> Regards,
> Vedran

Hello,

after a while, I have restarted my work on Waf upgrade to 1.9 (or
possibly 2.0 if stable comes out by the time the wscript changes are
done). Preliminary patch is [1] and the wscript changes seem to work
with 1.8.19 as well. I have tested bulding examples/tests, Python
bindings, but not the exotic stuff.

I believe I encountered a bug in Waf when Python 2 is used, and I
reported it [2]. Let's see how that goes.

Regards,
Vedran

[1] https://gist.github.com/vedranmiletic/6b50239c2ede59e91d991fcdaed507ef
[2] https://github.com/waf-project/waf/issues/2001