Tetcos NetSim and GPL?

Natale Patriciello

Hello everyone,

Please see this page: https://tetcos.com/5g.html

The list of features is incredibly similar to what UniPadova and NYU are
providing with their mmWave module. They even call the gNb as 'mmWave
eNb' and the UE as 'mmWave UE'... I don't want to call anyone out for
plagiarism (as I don't have the proof) but it sounds suspicious.

They added SDAP and something else, but basically it has all the
features of ns-3/mmWave/5G-NR code. They even advertize themselves by
using the words
"Are you stuck with open source simulators with no UI and incomprehensible code?"

In the website I didn't find any indication the license; as long as they
release/sell the software under GPLv2 there is no problem (we also
forked mmWave code). Problems arise if the license is not GPLv2. Someone
has more information?

Thank you

Natale

Re: Tetcos NetSim and GPL?

Natale Patriciello

Hello again,

has anyone had a look on the issue? Is there someone that has access to
the program (and hopefully to the source code) to see if there is any
similarity between this and ns-3?

Thanks

PS: The guys are doing a workshop at Globecom, which I will attend; I'd
like to have proofs by that time, if anyone can or want to help me is
more than welcome :-)

On 24/10/19 at 03:23, Natale Patriciello wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Please see this page: https://tetcos.com/5g.html
>
> The list of features is incredibly similar to what UniPadova and NYU are
> providing with their mmWave module. They even call the gNb as 'mmWave
> eNb' and the UE as 'mmWave UE'... I don't want to call anyone out for
> plagiarism (as I don't have the proof) but it sounds suspicious.
>
> They added SDAP and something else, but basically it has all the
> features of ns-3/mmWave/5G-NR code. They even advertize themselves by
> using the words
> "Are you stuck with open source simulators with no UI and incomprehensible code?"
>
> In the website I didn't find any indication the license; as long as they
> release/sell the software under GPLv2 there is no problem (we also
> forked mmWave code). Problems arise if the license is not GPLv2. Someone
> has more information?
>
> Thank you
>
> Natale

Re: Tetcos NetSim and GPL?

Alexander Krotov-2
Some examples are available on https://github.com/NetSim-TETCOS

It seems like NetSim is written in C, not C++, and their code
architecture is completely different:

https://github.com/NetSim-TETCOS/LTE_X2_Handover_v12.0/tree/master/WorkSpace_LTE_Handover/src/Simulation/LTE

I am not looking into it any further as it is not licensed under
GPL-compatible license, but it is clear that it is not sharing the code
with NS-3 in any way.

On 28.10.2019 12:02, Natale Patriciello wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> has anyone had a look on the issue? Is there someone that has access to
> the program (and hopefully to the source code) to see if there is any
> similarity between this and ns-3?
>
> Thanks
>

> PS: The guys are doing a workshop at Globecom, which I will attend; I'd
> like to have proofs by that time, if anyone can or want to help me is
> more than welcome :-)
>
> On 24/10/19 at 03:23, Natale Patriciello wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Please see this page: https://tetcos.com/5g.html
>>
>> The list of features is incredibly similar to what UniPadova and NYU are
>> providing with their mmWave module. They even call the gNb as 'mmWave
>> eNb' and the UE as 'mmWave UE'... I don't want to call anyone out for
>> plagiarism (as I don't have the proof) but it sounds suspicious.
>>
>> They added SDAP and something else, but basically it has all the
>> features of ns-3/mmWave/5G-NR code. They even advertize themselves by
>> using the words
>> "Are you stuck with open source simulators with no UI and incomprehensible code?"
>>
>> In the website I didn't find any indication the license; as long as they
>> release/sell the software under GPLv2 there is no problem (we also
>> forked mmWave code). Problems arise if the license is not GPLv2. Someone
>> has more information?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Natale

Re: Tetcos NetSim and GPL?

Natale Patriciello

Hello Alexander,

I have seen the examples, but still I wonder why (and how) all the
reported features are so similar (if not identical in the names...) to
what NYU/UniPD have released as GPL code.

Have they just taken "inspiration"? Or the software can be labeled as
derivated work? That is the question I'd like to find an answer,
somehow.

Natale