Summer Project 2016 (ICCRG TCP Evaluation Suite port)

Summer Project 2016 (ICCRG TCP Evaluation Suite port)

Dharmendra Mishra
Hello everyone,

I am Dharmendra Kumar Mishra, currently working on the Summer Project
2016 (ICCRG
TCP Evaluation Suite port) under the mentorship of Tom Henderson and Mohit
P. Tahiliani. I am a Masters student at NITK Surathkal.

This project project aims at porting the ns-2 TcpEval tool to ns-3 TcpEval.
This tool is used for validating the performance of newly proposed TCP
extensions. More information about this project and the expected outcome
can be found at this wiki page: https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Dharmendra

I will appreciate if you could provide your valuable comments on this
project.

Regards,
Dharmendra Mishra

Re: Summer Project 2016 (ICCRG TCP Evaluation Suite port)

Natale Patriciello
On 13/06/16 at 01:34pm, Dharmendra Mishra wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am Dharmendra Kumar Mishra, currently working on the Summer Project
> 2016 (ICCRG
> TCP Evaluation Suite port) under the mentorship of Tom Henderson and Mohit
> P. Tahiliani. I am a Masters student at NITK Surathkal.
>
> This project project aims at porting the ns-2 TcpEval tool to ns-3 TcpEval.
> This tool is used for validating the performance of newly proposed TCP
> extensions. More information about this project and the expected outcome
> can be found at this wiki page: https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Dharmendra
>
> I will appreciate if you could provide your valuable comments on this
> project.

Hi Dharmendra,

your project is close to this one [1]. In particular, this phrase: "The
goal of this project is to add Delay/Throughput tradeoff scenario
[section 5.1 of the RFC] to the existing code of TCP Evaluation Suite
for ns-3" seems to imply that you will build on top of the Wasiq
code.

I have no comments on the weekly plan (except what I've told to Wasiq,
moving away the project page from your personal one) but I would like to
see how the coordination between you two is going on, through a
dedicated section on your page.

As last thing, please remember to update it often :)

Good luck and feel free to ask questions :)
Have a nice day!

Nat

[1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Wasiq

Re: Summer Project 2016 (ICCRG TCP Evaluation Suite port)

Mohit P. Tahiliani
Hi Nat,

Thanks for taking out time to review the plans of summer projects, and
giving the feedback.

I would like you to know that Tom and I met on Tuesday to discuss the
summer projects, and that we have drafted a plan to take these projects
forward.

I hope the co-ordination between Dharmendra and Wasiq will become more
clear to you, once they provide more details in their next mails.

Regards,
Mohit P. Tahiliani

Re: Summer Project 2016 (ICCRG TCP Evaluation Suite port)

Dharmendra Mishra
Hi Natale,

Thank you for the feedback. As per your suggestion, the project page is
moved to this location [1].

Regarding TCP Evaluation Suite for ns-3, Mohit sir and I have been working
on this project for the past few months. The implemented suite provides
support for basic features but lacks a few scenarios. The code that we
wrote can be found at this repository [2]. As part of the summer project, I
will be enhancing the existing code by integrating Tmix with it and
providing support for Delay/Throughput tradeoff scenario. Wasiq will be
building his project on top of the existing code and plans to add another
scenario to it. Both these projects will coordinate.

Any suggestions / feedback on the project would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Dharmendra Mishra

[1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/TcpEvalProject
[2] https://github.com/mohittahiliani/tcp-eval-suite-ns3

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Natale Patriciello <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/06/16 at 01:34pm, Dharmendra Mishra wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I am Dharmendra Kumar Mishra, currently working on the Summer Project
> > 2016 (ICCRG
> > TCP Evaluation Suite port) under the mentorship of Tom Henderson and
> Mohit
> > P. Tahiliani. I am a Masters student at NITK Surathkal.
> >
> > This project project aims at porting the ns-2 TcpEval tool to ns-3
> TcpEval.
> > This tool is used for validating the performance of newly proposed TCP
> > extensions. More information about this project and the expected outcome
> > can be found at this wiki page:
> https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Dharmendra
> >
> > I will appreciate if you could provide your valuable comments on this
> > project.
>
> Hi Dharmendra,
>
> your project is close to this one [1]. In particular, this phrase: "The
> goal of this project is to add Delay/Throughput tradeoff scenario
> [section 5.1 of the RFC] to the existing code of TCP Evaluation Suite
> for ns-3" seems to imply that you will build on top of the Wasiq
> code.
>
> I have no comments on the weekly plan (except what I've told to Wasiq,
> moving away the project page from your personal one) but I would like to
> see how the coordination between you two is going on, through a
> dedicated section on your page.
>
> As last thing, please remember to update it often :)
>
> Good luck and feel free to ask questions :)
> Have a nice day!
>
> Nat
>
> [1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Wasiq

Re: Summer Project 2016 (ICCRG TCP Evaluation Suite port)

Wasiq Mukhtar
Hi natale,

I have moved the project page as well.
As for the changes in the objective section, I'll do it as soon as I clear
it up with Mohit and Tom.
As Dharmendra said i'm working on implementing the different scenarios.

-Wasiq

On 24 June 2016 at 11:59, Dharmendra Mishra <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Natale,
>
> Thank you for the feedback. As per your suggestion, the project page is
> moved to this location [1].
>
> Regarding TCP Evaluation Suite for ns-3, Mohit sir and I have been working
> on this project for the past few months. The implemented suite provides
> support for basic features but lacks a few scenarios. The code that we
> wrote can be found at this repository [2]. As part of the summer project, I
> will be enhancing the existing code by integrating Tmix with it and
> providing support for Delay/Throughput tradeoff scenario. Wasiq will be
> building his project on top of the existing code and plans to add another
> scenario to it. Both these projects will coordinate.
>
> Any suggestions / feedback on the project would be highly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Dharmendra Mishra
>
> [1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/TcpEvalProject
> [2] https://github.com/mohittahiliani/tcp-eval-suite-ns3
>
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Natale Patriciello <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 13/06/16 at 01:34pm, Dharmendra Mishra wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > I am Dharmendra Kumar Mishra, currently working on the Summer Project
> > > 2016 (ICCRG
> > > TCP Evaluation Suite port) under the mentorship of Tom Henderson and
> > Mohit
> > > P. Tahiliani. I am a Masters student at NITK Surathkal.
> > >
> > > This project project aims at porting the ns-2 TcpEval tool to ns-3
> > TcpEval.
> > > This tool is used for validating the performance of newly proposed TCP
> > > extensions. More information about this project and the expected
> outcome
> > > can be found at this wiki page:
> > https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Dharmendra
> > >
> > > I will appreciate if you could provide your valuable comments on this
> > > project.
> >
> > Hi Dharmendra,
> >
> > your project is close to this one [1]. In particular, this phrase: "The
> > goal of this project is to add Delay/Throughput tradeoff scenario
> > [section 5.1 of the RFC] to the existing code of TCP Evaluation Suite
> > for ns-3" seems to imply that you will build on top of the Wasiq
> > code.
> >
> > I have no comments on the weekly plan (except what I've told to Wasiq,
> > moving away the project page from your personal one) but I would like to
> > see how the coordination between you two is going on, through a
> > dedicated section on your page.
> >
> > As last thing, please remember to update it often :)
> >
> > Good luck and feel free to ask questions :)
> > Have a nice day!
> >
> > Nat
> >
> > [1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Wasiq

Re: Summer Project 2016 (ICCRG TCP Evaluation Suite port)

Dharmendra Mishra
Hello eveyone,

Please find the status of work for this week:
- Analyzed ns-2 and ns-3 Tmix code. I found that ns-3 Tmix code does not
have prefill and scale parameters which are required by our project. It is
mentioned in section 3.3 of the RFC.
- Committed the code of configure-topology.cc and traffic-parameters.cc in
the github repository. It is just the initial commit. These files may be
modified at later stages of project.
- Simulatenously coding basic-dumbbell-scenario.cc file.

Planned next week's work:
- Try to modify ns-3 Tmix code to fill the gap between ns-2 Tmix and ns-3
Tmix code.
- If the updation of ns-3 Tmix code is successful, successfully integrate
Tmix with ns-3 TcpEval.
- Continue writing code for basic-dumbbell-scenario.cc

Please provide the feedback for the same.

Regards,
Dharmendra
On Jun 24, 2016 11:59 AM, "Dharmendra Mishra" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Natale,
>
> Thank you for the feedback. As per your suggestion, the project page is
> moved to this location [1].
>
> Regarding TCP Evaluation Suite for ns-3, Mohit sir and I have been working
> on this project for the past few months. The implemented suite provides
> support for basic features but lacks a few scenarios. The code that we
> wrote can be found at this repository [2]. As part of the summer project, I
> will be enhancing the existing code by integrating Tmix with it and
> providing support for Delay/Throughput tradeoff scenario. Wasiq will be
> building his project on top of the existing code and plans to add another
> scenario to it. Both these projects will coordinate.
>
> Any suggestions / feedback on the project would be highly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Dharmendra Mishra
>
> [1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/TcpEvalProject
> [2] https://github.com/mohittahiliani/tcp-eval-suite-ns3
>
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Natale Patriciello <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 13/06/16 at 01:34pm, Dharmendra Mishra wrote:
>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > I am Dharmendra Kumar Mishra, currently working on the Summer Project
>> > 2016 (ICCRG
>> > TCP Evaluation Suite port) under the mentorship of Tom Henderson and
>> Mohit
>> > P. Tahiliani. I am a Masters student at NITK Surathkal.
>> >
>> > This project project aims at porting the ns-2 TcpEval tool to ns-3
>> TcpEval.
>> > This tool is used for validating the performance of newly proposed TCP
>> > extensions. More information about this project and the expected outcome
>> > can be found at this wiki page:
>> https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Dharmendra
>> >
>> > I will appreciate if you could provide your valuable comments on this
>> > project.
>>
>> Hi Dharmendra,
>>
>> your project is close to this one [1]. In particular, this phrase: "The
>> goal of this project is to add Delay/Throughput tradeoff scenario
>> [section 5.1 of the RFC] to the existing code of TCP Evaluation Suite
>> for ns-3" seems to imply that you will build on top of the Wasiq
>> code.
>>
>> I have no comments on the weekly plan (except what I've told to Wasiq,
>> moving away the project page from your personal one) but I would like to
>> see how the coordination between you two is going on, through a
>> dedicated section on your page.
>>
>> As last thing, please remember to update it often :)
>>
>> Good luck and feel free to ask questions :)
>> Have a nice day!
>>
>> Nat
>>
>> [1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/User:Wasiq

Re: Summer Project 2016 (ICCRG TCP Evaluation Suite port)

Natale Patriciello

Hi,

nothing to say about the project status this time, but may I ask you and other
students to update the page [1] with the links to your projects, and
then to send weekly reports by starting a new thread with a descriptive
subject?

E.g. [TCP Evaluation Suite port] Week 1 - analysis

remember to update your wiki page as well. This makes it easier for us
to search and reply :)

Have a nice day!
Nat

[1] https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/MentoredProjects2016