Query regarding TCP Westwood CRB test suite

Query regarding TCP Westwood CRB test suite

Chirag Jamadagni
Hello everyone,

We have implemented TCP Westwood CRB (Combined Rate and Bandwidth
estimation) in ns-3.26 and completed the documentation and examples. Now we
want to write the test cases for the same.

We observed that NewReno, Westwood and Westwood+ are currently tested in
ns3tcp-loss-test-suite.cc by using response vectors, whereas the other TCP
extensions have a dedicated test suite.

We wanted to know which of the above would be a good approach to test
TCPW-CRB: the way Westwood/Westwood+ are tested, or the approach adopted
for other TCP extensions like Scalable, LEDBAT, etc.

Thanks and regards,
Chirag Jamadagni
Amita Kamath
(NITK Surathkal)

Re: Query regarding TCP Westwood CRB test suite

Tom Henderson-2
On 03/07/2017 08:27 PM, Chirag Jamadagni wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> We have implemented TCP Westwood CRB (Combined Rate and Bandwidth
> estimation) in ns-3.26 and completed the documentation and examples. Now we
> want to write the test cases for the same.
>
> We observed that NewReno, Westwood and Westwood+ are currently tested in
> ns3tcp-loss-test-suite.cc by using response vectors, whereas the other TCP
> extensions have a dedicated test suite.
>
> We wanted to know which of the above would be a good approach to test
> TCPW-CRB: the way Westwood/Westwood+ are tested, or the approach adopted
> for other TCP extensions like Scalable, LEDBAT, etc.

I have found that the tests with response vectors are hard to maintain
over time and would suggest to try to write new tests using TCP trace
sources to explicitly check for state changes at the appropriate times.

Re: Query regarding TCP Westwood CRB test suite

Chirag Jamadagni
Thank you for your reply, Tom.

We will work on writing new tests using TCP trace sources.

Thanks and regards,
Chirag Jamadagni
Amita Kamath
(NITK Surathkal)

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Tom Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/07/2017 08:27 PM, Chirag Jamadagni wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> We have implemented TCP Westwood CRB (Combined Rate and Bandwidth
>> estimation) in ns-3.26 and completed the documentation and examples. Now
>> we
>> want to write the test cases for the same.
>>
>> We observed that NewReno, Westwood and Westwood+ are currently tested in
>> ns3tcp-loss-test-suite.cc by using response vectors, whereas the other TCP
>> extensions have a dedicated test suite.
>>
>> We wanted to know which of the above would be a good approach to test
>> TCPW-CRB: the way Westwood/Westwood+ are tested, or the approach adopted
>> for other TCP extensions like Scalable, LEDBAT, etc.
>>

> I have found that the tests with response vectors are hard to maintain
> over time and would suggest to try to write new tests using TCP trace
> sources to explicitly check for state changes at the appropriate times.
>
> - Tom

Re: Query regarding TCP Westwood CRB test suite

Natale Patriciello
On 12/03/17 at 12:02, Chirag Jamadagni wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, Tom.
>
> We will work on writing new tests using TCP trace sources.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Chirag Jamadagni
> Amita Kamath
> (NITK Surathkal)

May I ask also a test for TCP Westwood (and Westwood plus)?

Thank you!

Nat

Re: Query regarding TCP Westwood CRB test suite

Chirag Jamadagni
Sure, Natale. We will also work on developing test cases for Westwood and
Westwood Plus.

Thanks,
Chirag Jamadagni

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Natale Patriciello <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/03/17 at 12:02, Chirag Jamadagni wrote:
> > Thank you for your reply, Tom.
> >
> > We will work on writing new tests using TCP trace sources.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Chirag Jamadagni
> > Amita Kamath
> > (NITK Surathkal)
>

> May I ask also a test for TCP Westwood (and Westwood plus)?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Nat

Re: Query regarding TCP Westwood CRB test suite

Chirag Jamadagni
Hi Natale,

We created the test suite for TCP-Westwood. It has been uploaded here for
review:

https://codereview.appspot.com/320780043/

Could you please let us know if it's correct? If so, we will proceed to add
test cases for Westwood Plus and a few other TCP Westwood variants.

Thanks and regards,

Chirag Jamadagni and Amita Kamath
NITK Surathkal