Pyviz and simple scenario visualizations

Pyviz and simple scenario visualizations

LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo
Hello everyone,

I was looking at the GSOC2017 projects and I wanted to discuss about Pyviz.

To begin with, I don't know if ns-3 still uses this name for the tool, but
essentially it is the Python based online visual traceless tool for simple
scenario verification and visualization.

Over the last year I have been playing with ns-3 and I find that there are
moments when reading through the trace files ns-3 creates is too time
consuming, knowing that the simple information I need could be displayed
via Pyviz.

I have checked online for a method to display information within Pyviz but
I cannot find a definite method to integrate my variables with ns-3. I was
wondering if more work could be done to make it easier to extend ns-3 with
Pyviz integration.

If I am talking about a piece of software that is too old, then I would
like to know what tool everyone is using to quickly visualize and verify a
given scenario. If my google-fu is weak, then I would like to know where to
get the information to integrate ns-3 with Pyviz to display information.

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Jairo.

Re: Pyviz and simple scenario visualizations

Tom Henderson-2
On 03/12/2017 05:47 PM, LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was looking at the GSOC2017 projects and I wanted to discuss about Pyviz.
>
> To begin with, I don't know if ns-3 still uses this name for the tool, but
> essentially it is the Python based online visual traceless tool for simple
> scenario verification and visualization.
>
> Over the last year I have been playing with ns-3 and I find that there are
> moments when reading through the trace files ns-3 creates is too time
> consuming, knowing that the simple information I need could be displayed
> via Pyviz.
>
> I have checked online for a method to display information within Pyviz but
> I cannot find a definite method to integrate my variables with ns-3. I was
> wondering if more work could be done to make it easier to extend ns-3 with
> Pyviz integration.

Jairo, Pyviz is still a part of ns-3, but hasn't undergone active
development for a while.  I am not sure what you are asking to do, but
have you tried using iPython (the 'Shell' button) to introspect
simulation state in a stopped simulation from pyviz?

Gustavo wrote about this a while ago in a blog post:
http://gjcarneiro.blogspot.com/2009/02/interactive-python-shell-in-ns-3-pyviz.html

and I have shown this feature in ns-3 training sessions the past couple
of years, although I don't think it is well documented.

There is also the capability to mouse-over nodes and display addressing
and type information, and to right-click to get more node information.
Is it this capability that you would like to extend?

In my opinion, improvements to Pyviz would be welcome and would fall
under the general project idea category of usability improvements.

Re: Pyviz and simple scenario visualizations

LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo
Hello Tom,

Thank you very much for your response.

I am sorry for not making the time to answer sooner.

I was not aware of Gustavo's post. I read through it and seem to have drawn
a blank as to what exactly he is doing. Could you shed some more light on
the IPython connection to use Pyviz?

Yes, I would like to extend the capability of mouse-over nodes and
right-clicking to get more ns-3 scenario information. Since I have been
working with mobility scenarios, I have used Pyviz to visually check that
nodes are actually where I need them to be and moving the way I intend them
to move. It has been extremely useful to me.

While doing those checks, I also noticed that Pyviz shows some data like
NetDevice TX and RX stats in dialog boxes. I understand Pyviz is not meant
to be used for heavy tracing, but there are some simple things I would like
to add to Pyviz to display when I am doing my visual verification. For
example I have some message counters that could definitely be put in a
Pyviz dialog box. I have tried to understand how the connection between
Pyviz and the C++ code is formed but I am completely lost.

I am wondering if I have overlooked a howto, much like I wasn't aware of
Gustavo's post, or if someone could point me into the right direction as to
how to connect Pyviz and ns-3 to display other information.

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Jairo

> On 03/12/2017 05:47 PM, LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I was looking at the GSOC2017 projects and I wanted to discuss about
>> Pyviz.
>>
>> To begin with, I don't know if ns-3 still uses this name for the tool, but
>> essentially it is the Python based online visual traceless tool for simple
>> scenario verification and visualization.
>>
>> Over the last year I have been playing with ns-3 and I find that there are
>> moments when reading through the trace files ns-3 creates is too time
>> consuming, knowing that the simple information I need could be displayed
>> via Pyviz.
>>
>> I have checked online for a method to display information within Pyviz but
>> I cannot find a definite method to integrate my variables with ns-3. I was
>> wondering if more work could be done to make it easier to extend ns-3 with
>> Pyviz integration.
>>

> Jairo, Pyviz is still a part of ns-3, but hasn't undergone active
> development for a while.  I am not sure what you are asking to do, but have
> you tried using iPython (the 'Shell' button) to introspect simulation state
> in a stopped simulation from pyviz?
>
> Gustavo wrote about this a while ago in a blog post:
> http://gjcarneiro.blogspot.com/2009/02/interactive-python-
> shell-in-ns-3-pyviz.html
>
> and I have shown this feature in ns-3 training sessions the past couple of
> years, although I don't think it is well documented.
>
> There is also the capability to mouse-over nodes and display addressing
> and type information, and to right-click to get more node information.  Is
> it this capability that you would like to extend?
>
> In my opinion, improvements to Pyviz would be welcome and would fall under
> the general project idea category of usability improvements.
>
> - Tom

Re: Pyviz and simple scenario visualizations

Gustavo Carneiro
Hello,

Sorry, I have not been using or developing PyViz in years, so even I don't
remember all the details.

But you should take a look at this wiki page, it might help:
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/PyViz

If you're really desperate, I can try to dig deep into my PhD research
scripts to try to get some code that displays additional information in
PyViz.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
Gambit Research

Re: Pyviz and simple scenario visualizations

LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo
Gustavo,

Thank you very much for responding to my mail.

I wouldn't say I am desperate, but I would really like to know what is the
easiest way to display other information via Pyviz. If your PhD research
scripts can lead me there, then I would really appreciate you looking for
them.

On the other hand, if there is any other visualization tool for ns-3 that
is better than Pyviz then I would like to know about it.

All I really need is a quick way to verify some personal scenario
information visually.

Thanks you very much for your time and consideration,

Jairo

On 03/15/2017 07:24 PM, LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo wrote:
> Hello Tom,
>
> Thank you very much for your response.
>
> I am sorry for not making the time to answer sooner.
>
> I was not aware of Gustavo's post. I read through it and seem to have
> drawn a blank as to what exactly he is doing. Could you shed some more
> light on the IPython connection to use Pyviz?

If you have iPython installed, you can introspect a paused simulation by
hitting the "Shell" button, and then at the iPython prompt you can do
things such as:

In [1]: print selected_node.GetDevice(0).GetAddress ()
02-06-00:00:00:00:00:01

I am not aware of any documentation about this capability, however.

> Yes, I would like to extend the capability of mouse-over nodes and
> right-clicking to get more ns-3 scenario information. Since I have
> been working with mobility scenarios, I have used Pyviz to visually
> check that nodes are actually where I need them to be and moving the
> way I intend them to move. It has been extremely useful to me.
>
> While doing those checks, I also noticed that Pyviz shows some data
> like NetDevice TX and RX stats in dialog boxes. I understand Pyviz is
> not meant to be used for heavy tracing, but there are some simple
> things I would like to add to Pyviz to display when I am doing my
> visual verification. For example I have some message counters that
> could definitely be put in a Pyviz dialog box. I have tried to
> understand how the connection between Pyviz and the C++ code is formed
> but I am completely lost.
>
> I am wondering if I have overlooked a howto, much like I wasn't aware
> of Gustavo's post, or if someone could point me into the right
> direction as to how to connect Pyviz and ns-3 to display other
> information.

Unfortunately, documentation is scant for Pyviz beyond the wiki page
that Gustavo shared, and it is not an area of expertise for many of us
maintainers.  Writing some documentation to go along with extensions
that you might want to suggest would be a worthwhile part of a proposed
project on Pyviz.

Re: Pyviz and simple scenario visualizations

Gustavo Carneiro
See also the example plugins, you should be able to figure out from the
existing plugins how to do similar things:
http://code.nsnam.org/ns-3-dev/file/0122d50e8650/src/visualizer/visualizer/plugins

Gambit Research

Re: Pyviz and simple scenario visualizations

LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo
Tom, Gustavo,

Thank you for taking your time to respond to my messages.

> Unfortunately, documentation is scant for Pyviz beyond the wiki page that
Gustavo shared, and it > is not an area of expertise for many of us
maintainers.  Writing some documentation to go along > with extensions that
you might want to suggest would be a worthwhile part of a proposed project
> on Pyviz.

If I manage to add something to Pyviz, I will make sure to document it and
send the documentation upstream.

I have seen that, for example NetAnim, has seen updates in the latest
releases. Is there very little actual need for a live visual tracing tool
like Pyviz? Or is everyone using something else that is not under your
maintenance?

> See also the example plugins, you should be able to figure out from the
> existing plugins how to do similar things: http://code.nsnam.org/
> ns-3-dev/file/0122d50e8650/src/visualizer/visualizer/plugins

I will take a look at the plugins directory to see what I can come up with.
I already saw that there seems to be a need for a link between the C++ code
and some Python bindings. I have very little idea of what is going on
there, but I will definitely try to find out.

> On 17 March 2017 at 00:49, LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Gustavo,
>>
>> Thank you very much for responding to my mail.
>>
>> I wouldn't say I am desperate, but I would really like to know what is
>> the easiest way to display other information via Pyviz. If your PhD
>> research scripts can lead me there, then I would really appreciate you
>> looking for them.
>>
>> On the other hand, if there is any other visualization tool for ns-3 that
>> is better than Pyviz then I would like to know about it.
>>
>> All I really need is a quick way to verify some personal scenario
>> information visually.
>>
>> Thanks you very much for your time and consideration,
>>
>> Jairo

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Sorry, I have not been using or developing PyViz in years, so even I
>>> don't remember all the details.
>>>
>>> But you should take a look at this wiki page, it might help:
>>> https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/PyViz
>>>
>>> If you're really desperate, I can try to dig deep into my PhD research
>>> scripts to try to get some code that displays additional information in
>>> PyViz.

>>> --
>>> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
>>> Gambit Research
>>> "The universe is always one step beyond logic." -- Frank Herbert
>>>

> --
> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
> Gambit Research
> "The universe is always one step beyond logic." -- Frank Herbert

Once again thank you for your responses and your cooperation,

Jairo

On 03/19/2017 02:16 AM, LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo wrote:

> Tom, Gustavo,
>
> Thank you for taking your time to respond to my messages.

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> > Unfortunately, documentation is scant for Pyviz beyond the wiki page
> that Gustavo shared, and it > is not an area of expertise for many of
> us maintainers.  Writing some documentation to go along > with
> extensions that you might want to suggest would be a worthwhile part
> of a proposed project > on Pyviz.
>
> If I manage to add something to Pyviz, I will make sure to document it
> and send the documentation upstream.
>
> I have seen that, for example NetAnim, has seen updates in the latest
> releases. Is there very little actual need for a live visual tracing
> tool like Pyviz? Or is everyone using something else that is not under
> your maintenance?

I believe that multiple visualization tools are helpful to the project.
Pyviz and NetAnim are different approaches to visualization, the former
being more interactive and the latter working offline, and have
different tradeoffs.  I don't have any feeling for what fraction of
users use Pyviz vs NetAnim vs. something else vs. none of the above for
visualization.

Pyviz improvements would be the kind of project that interests me for
GSoC because it improves usability and is oriented towards improving
what we have already started.  Projects with completely new features
risk not making enough progress before GSoC concludes.

- Tom