NetAnim Python and examples Problem

Manoj Kumar Rana
Dear ns-3 developers,

This is to inform you that we have been working on a user-friendly
documentation of the Python bindings that can be used for the ns-3
development and demonstrations, along with NetAnim. We did not find any
suitable resources available currently. We have also observed that while
working on Python bindings with ns-3 simulator there is no valid Python
library for the generation of the .xml scripts that can be further used by
NetAnim to visualize the simulation. So we want to develop a Python module
that can help users to write Python scripts and animate them using NetAnim.
If you (Sir. Tom Henderson)  can kindly give us a lead on this, and help us
identify the loopholes in this particular scenario. We really wish to
contribute to the development.

Thanks in advance,
Diprotiv, Koushik and Manoj

Re: NetAnim Python and examples Problem

Tom Henderson-2
On 11/5/19 10:15 AM, Manoj Kumar Rana wrote:

> Dear ns-3 developers,
>
> This is to inform you that we have been working on a user-friendly
> documentation of the Python bindings that can be used for the ns-3
> development and demonstrations, along with NetAnim. We did not find
> any suitable resources available currently. We have also observed that
> while working on Python bindings with ns-3 simulator there is no valid
> Python library for the generation of the .xml scripts that can be
> further used by NetAnim to visualize the simulation. So we want to
> develop a Python module that can help users to write Python scripts
> and animate them using NetAnim. If you (Sir. Tom Henderson)  can
> kindly give us a lead on this, and help us identify the loopholes in
> this particular scenario. We really wish to contribute to the development.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Diprotiv, Koushik and Manoj

Hi Manoj, nice to hear from you again.  I am not sure of the historical
reason that the netanim module is left out of the Python build (perhaps
John did not want to maintain those bindings), but I believe that it can
be enabled by adding a statement to the module wscript, and then
rescanning that module.

I tried this and posted a merge request from my branch here:
https://gitlab.com/nsnam/ns-3-dev/merge_requests/130

The branch is 'netanim-bindings' from my fork at
https://gitlab.com/tomhenderson/ns-3-dev.git.

I haven't tested it; could you please test it and let us know whether
the patch enables animation trace creation for you?

Regarding other documentation about how to use the Python bindings, if
you want guidance on how to share and possibly contribute that, please
let me know.

Fwd: NetAnim Python and examples Problem

Manoj Kumar Rana