Interested to participate in GSoC 2017

Shravya Ks
Hello everyone,

I am Shravya K. S., pursuing my final year B.Tech in Computer Engineering
at NITK Surathkal. I am interested to apply for the GSoC project idea “TCP
variants for Data Center Networks”.

I have some prior experience of working with ns-3 and have contributed few
modules such as PIE and ECN support in ns-3. I completed the ECN project as
a part of 2016 ns-3 summer of code. While PIE and Phase 1 of the ECN
project are merged in ns-3, Phase 2 of ECN project is currently

under review.

After completing the ECN project, I have implemented DCTCP (Data Center
TCP) in ns-3, which depends on ECN support for multiplicative decrease. I
have not yet developed a test suite for DCTCP and released the code, since
the Phase 2 of ECN is currently under review.

Tentative plan for GSoC project:

Linux kernel currently supports two TCP extensions for Data Center
Networks: DCTCP and TCP-NV (New Vegas). I plan to work on both these
extensions during the GSoC time frame.

Phase 1:
Since DCTCP implementation is completed, I would start the GSoC work with
the implementation of TCP-NV in ns-3. Linux code will be used as a
reference for this and I'll try to complete it by the first mid term review.

Phase 2:
Till the next mid term review, I shall address the comments of reviewers on
first review, complete writing tests for DCTCP and TCP-NV, provide example
programs for users, and start crafting scenarios to compare DCTCP and
TCP-NV implementations in ns-3 with those of Linux, either by using DCE or
NSC.

Phase 3:
Address the comments provided in second review, complete verifying ns-3
implementation of DCTCP and TCP-NV, finish the documentation, prepare
patches and upload the code for final code review.

I would highly appreciate your suggestions / feedback.

Thanks and Regards,

Shravya

Re: Interested to participate in GSoC 2017

Tom Henderson-2
On 03/12/2017 10:50 AM, Shravya Ks wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am Shravya K. S., pursuing my final year B.Tech in Computer Engineering
> at NITK Surathkal. I am interested to apply for the GSoC project idea “TCP
> variants for Data Center Networks”.
>
> I have some prior experience of working with ns-3 and have contributed few
> modules such as PIE and ECN support in ns-3. I completed the ECN project as
> a part of 2016 ns-3 summer of code. While PIE and Phase 1 of the ECN
> project are merged in ns-3, Phase 2 of ECN project is currently
>
> under review.
>

> After completing the ECN project, I have implemented DCTCP (Data Center
> TCP) in ns-3, which depends on ECN support for multiplicative decrease. I
> have not yet developed a test suite for DCTCP and released the code, since
> the Phase 2 of ECN is currently under review.
>
> Tentative plan for GSoC project:

> Linux kernel currently supports two TCP extensions for Data Center
> Networks: DCTCP and TCP-NV (New Vegas). I plan to work on both these
> extensions during the GSoC time frame.
>
> Phase 1:
> Since DCTCP implementation is completed, I would start the GSoC work with
> the implementation of TCP-NV in ns-3. Linux code will be used as a
> reference for this and I'll try to complete it by the first mid term review.
>
> Phase 2:
> Till the next mid term review, I shall address the comments of reviewers on
> first review, complete writing tests for DCTCP and TCP-NV, provide example
> programs for users, and start crafting scenarios to compare DCTCP and
> TCP-NV implementations in ns-3 with those of Linux, either by using DCE or
> NSC.

Hi Shravya, can you say more about providing example programs?  Could
your project provide some canonical data center topologies and data
collection/plotting capabilities, applicable to any TCP variants?

Also, please be aware that DCE and NSC presently do not have the ability
to run the most recent kernels (which some of these variants probably
require).

Re: Interested to participate in GSoC 2017

Shravya Ks
Hello Tom Sir,

Yes, as a part of the project I plan to provide some helpers for topologies
like Fat tree and BCube. Basic support for simulating such topologies is
provided in [1], which I think can be a good reference. By data collection
/ plotting, did you mean relevant trace sources, or something different?

I guess DCTCP requires 3.18 kernel version and TCP-NV 4.8. In case using
DCE and NSC is not possible, can you suggest an alternate approach to
validate the implementation?

Thanks and Regards,
Shravya

[1] http://ntu-dsi-dcn.github.io/ntu-dsi-dcn/

On 03/14/2017 09:17 AM, Shravya Ks wrote:
> Hello Tom Sir,
>
> Yes, as a part of the project I plan to provide some helpers for
> topologies like Fat tree and BCube. Basic support for simulating such
> topologies is provided in [1], which I think can be a good reference.
> By data collection / plotting, did you mean relevant trace sources, or
> something different?

One strategy for testing the implementation is to try to validate
against previously published results in the literature.  To do so
requires simulation data collection, and presentation in plots or tables
that are similarly formatted.  So, if you can introduce any additional
trace sources (if needed) or helpers or scripts to ease the collection
of this output data and plot generation, and provide that also as part
of your project, it will help future users.

> I guess DCTCP requires 3.18 kernel version and TCP-NV 4.8. In case
> using DCE and NSC is not possible, can you suggest an alternate
> approach to validate the implementation?

Yes, you can use emulation mode and set up a test machine (or virtual
machine) to interact with.

This would be one approach if your host machine already is running the
kernel that you wish to test against:
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/HOWTO_use_CORE_to_test_ns-3_TCP

or you could set up a full virtual machine or physical machine, or some
hybrid of these approaches.

Re: Interested to participate in GSoC 2017

Shravya Ks
Thank you, Sir. I will look into it and include it in my project proposal.

Regards,
Shravya