[GSoC notes] Fundraising session

Natale Patriciello

The session was about tips for fundraising. A possible list is the following:

*) Have a fiscal responsibility behind the organization
*) Do accounting and have budget reports. Even if there are mistakes in the money usage, report them so the people can see that you are honest
*) A lot of people can write checks if they feel they're changing the world, so show them how you can change the world
*) Get organized, with defined responsibilities
*) Have one (or more) elevator pitch... who are you, what you do, why you need funding, all in 15 seconds
*) During fundraising sessions, all the slides should have the name/organization/how to reach you, not only the first/last
*) Have a quick response if someone asks what do you  need for the organization (money, structure, etc.)
*) You have to lose your shame and ask many people. It is not about what is right, but what is fair

Then, people commented on their failures.

*) One source is not having a 100% grasp on the board (international boards with different cultures)
*) It is important to take what you can get: asking for 5 million when someone can offer you 50k. You have to take 50k

Some success stories:

*) With many corporations, it is a good thing to have contracts, or you'll not show professionality. But then, be aware of legal teams, which can make a deal impossible
*) Be sure on having policies, for instance, who can sponsor and who can not (for religious/political/etc. reasons)

An essential thing in the organization is to have a permanent structure.
For example, dealing with customers with always the same face shows
continuity about the organization.

Another tip is that, on the website, it should be clear who you can
contact for fundraising (maybe with a list of trusted subsidiaries?)

Another strategy for fundraising is to have membership fees, but an
essential thing for starting is to have at least three members
(membership fees for one member does not make sense).

In the reports, cleary report how the money is used, without lying.

My comments:

In our project, we are divided between research centers/universities,
and ns-3. So probably there is a conflict of interest because if I take
money for CTTC, that money is not going directly into the ns-3 project,
but a part will (eventually) reach the project in the form of code
contribution. But anyway, I am using the ns-3 name (as everyone is
doing) to get funds... So, I would say that the first thing we have to
ask ourselves is: does the ns-3 project need money? Will we be able to
invest it, to create a development infrastructure (such as startup) that
can take the lead? Or what we would use the money for (wns3, website,
etc.). Otherwise, the notes that I got should be applied for our
personal (= who we are working for) interest, instead that ns-3 in
general.

Nat

Re: [GSoC notes] Fundraising session

Tom Henderson-2
On 10/21/19 5:14 AM, Natale Patriciello wrote:

> The session was about tips for fundraising. A possible list is the following:
>

> *) Have a fiscal responsibility behind the organization
> *) Do accounting and have budget reports. Even if there are mistakes in the money usage, report them so the people can see that you are honest
> *) A lot of people can write checks if they feel they're changing the world, so show them how you can change the world
> *) Get organized, with defined responsibilities
> *) Have one (or more) elevator pitch... who are you, what you do, why you need funding, all in 15 seconds
> *) During fundraising sessions, all the slides should have the name/organization/how to reach you, not only the first/last
> *) Have a quick response if someone asks what do you  need for the organization (money, structure, etc.)
> *) You have to lose your shame and ask many people. It is not about what is right, but what is fair
>
> Then, people commented on their failures.
>
> *) One source is not having a 100% grasp on the board (international boards with different cultures)
> *) It is important to take what you can get: asking for 5 million when someone can offer you 50k. You have to take 50k
>
> Some success stories:
>
> *) With many corporations, it is a good thing to have contracts, or you'll not show professionality. But then, be aware of legal teams, which can make a deal impossible
> *) Be sure on having policies, for instance, who can sponsor and who can not (for religious/political/etc. reasons)
>

> An essential thing in the organization is to have a permanent structure.
> For example, dealing with customers with always the same face shows
> continuity about the organization.
>
> Another tip is that, on the website, it should be clear who you can
> contact for fundraising (maybe with a list of trusted subsidiaries?)
>
> Another strategy for fundraising is to have membership fees, but an
> essential thing for starting is to have at least three members
> (membership fees for one member does not make sense).
>
> In the reports, cleary report how the money is used, without lying.

> My comments:
>
> In our project, we are divided between research centers/universities,
> and ns-3. So probably there is a conflict of interest because if I take
> money for CTTC, that money is not going directly into the ns-3 project,
> but a part will (eventually) reach the project in the form of code
> contribution. But anyway, I am using the ns-3 name (as everyone is
> doing) to get funds... So, I would say that the first thing we have to
> ask ourselves is: does the ns-3 project need money? Will we be able to
> invest it, to create a development infrastructure (such as startup) that
> can take the lead? Or what we would use the money for (wns3, website,
> etc.). Otherwise, the notes that I got should be applied for our
> personal (= who we are working for) interest, instead that ns-3 in
> general.
>
> Nat

We have recently relaunched the ns-3 Consortium, which is one way that
we have been raising and managing money for the project.  We would like
for more companies to join; please see:

https://www.nsnam.org/consortium/

We have used the funding to pay for things such as computers, software
subscriptions, web site development work, support for annual meeting,
etc.  We have not raised enough money yet to consider hiring a
developer; we would need to grow our membership to do so.

On 24/10/19 at 04:57, Tom Henderson wrote:
> On 10/21/19 5:14 AM, Natale Patriciello wrote:
[cut]

> We have recently relaunched the ns-3 Consortium, which is one way that we
> have been raising and managing money for the project.  We would like for
> more companies to join; please see:
>
> https://www.nsnam.org/consortium/
>
> We have used the funding to pay for things such as computers, software
> subscriptions, web site development work, support for annual meeting, etc.
> We have not raised enough money yet to consider hiring a developer; we would
> need to grow our membership to do so.

There is any benefit to join the consortium? In other words, what an
institution/company can get for being member of the Consortium?

Nat

On 10/28/19 1:45 AM, Natale Patriciello wrote:

> On 24/10/19 at 04:57, Tom Henderson wrote:
>> On 10/21/19 5:14 AM, Natale Patriciello wrote:
> [cut]
>> We have recently relaunched the ns-3 Consortium, which is one way that we
>> have been raising and managing money for the project.  We would like for
>> more companies to join; please see:
>>
>> https://www.nsnam.org/consortium/
>>
>> We have used the funding to pay for things such as computers, software
>> subscriptions, web site development work, support for annual meeting, etc.
>> We have not raised enough money yet to consider hiring a developer; we would
>> need to grow our membership to do so.
> There is any benefit to join the consortium? In other words, what an
> institution/company can get for being member of the Consortium?

In brief, members can participate in the advisory board, which organizes
the annual meeting and training and which discusses other issues
regarding the support of the open source project. Members can also
receive a complimentary registration to the annual meeting and training,
and can have their logo placed on the website.

- Tom