GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hey everyone,

I am Surya, a student currently doing the 5th year of my 3+2 integrated
programme (BTech in Computer Science and MS in Network Services and
Systems) at KTH, Stockholm. I am happy to be a participant of this year's
Google Summer of Code programme.

My GSoC project involves working with the traffic-control module in ns-3 in
order to implement two traffic shaping algorithms : Token Bucket Filter and
Heavy Hitter filter. These algorithms along with their user examples and
test cases should be done by the end of the GSoC programme phase. My
original proposal along with the tracking of this project's progress has
been mentioned in here :  https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/GSOC2017TBFAndHHF .
Kindly feel free to provide your feedback or comments on it.

I will be discussing the project (the progress) through this thread in the
upcoming weeks.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi everyone,

As the GSoC coding period officially started on May 30th, here is the
weekly update regarding the progress of my project :

Work done in the previous week : Started with the implementation of TBF
based on its implementation in Linux. Created the tbf-queue-disc.h and
tbf-queue-disc.cc files. Currently working on the dequeue functionality of
the token bucket filter which is the tricky part of the implementation.

Work planned for next week : Finish the implementation, do a simple testing
and make necessary changes in .h and .cc files to get everything working.
Also start planning a test-suite.

Project is currently on track with regular discussions and support from my
mentor.

Code :
https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/tree/TBF/src/traffic-control/model

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hey All,

Week2 Progress :

Work Done in Week2 : Almost done with the basic TBF implementation, ran the
traffic-control example to see if the Queue Disc works. Still working on
some aspects in the Dequeue function with respect to the Linux code like
setting up a scheduled timer to awaken the queue during a situation where
there are enough tokens in the bucket to allow the queued up packets to be
transmitted.

Work Planned for Week3 : Start with user-example and test case suite for
TBF and simultaneously refine the TBF code.

Progress was a little slower in Week2 than in Week1, will try to make it up
in the upcoming week.

Code : https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/tree/TBF
Detailed Progress Blog :
https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/wiki/GSoC-Project-Part-1-:-TBF-Implementation-in-ns-3
Project Wiki Page to track Plan versus Execution and Current Status :
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/GSOC2017TBFAndHHF#Phase_1

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi Everyone,

Week 3 Progress :

Work Done in Work 3 :

1. Finished TBF DoDequeue() and got it working.
2. With that completed all functionalities in tbf.h and tbf.cc files.
3. Finished coding the TBF user example (using the RED traffic-control
example as the basis).
4. Using the example, tested the basic working of TBF; it seems to behave
as expected but need to do further testing.
5. Currently starting with the TBF test-case suite.

Work Planned for Week 4 :

1. Code the TBF test case suite.
2. Do overall TBF testing and refine the existing code accordingly.
3. Prepare and submit code for Phase 1 review.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me or
raise an issue in the Github repository.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hey Everyone,

Here is the Week 4 update :

Work Done in Week 4 :

1. Changed the manner of DoDequeue() implementation in TBF. Initially we
were doing the exact same implementation as done in Linux, but this made
the code unreadable in ns-3. So now we implemented the same Linux logic in
a simpler manner.
2. Prepared and submitted code for phase 1 review.
3. Wrote a skeleton implementation of the TBF test suite.
4. Tackling issues arising out of implementing the test suite and refining
the TBF implementation.
5. Currently working on setting the mtu parameter (here, its the size of
second token bucket) in a better manner.

Work Planned in Week 5 :

1. Get the TBF test suite working and discuss improvements with mentor.
2. Make changes based on first phase review comments, if any.
3. Finish any backlogs, clean up TBF code and prepare to start HHF
implementation in Week 6.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi Everyone,

Here is the Week5 update :

Work Done in Week 5:

1. Finished the TBF test suite and tested the TBF model.
2. Completed the TBF documentation (tbf.rst file).
3. Went through the HHF documentation available online.
4. Currently trying to understand the HHF implementation in Linux.

Work Planned in Week 6:

1. Create the hhf.h and hhf.cc files and implement the important functions.
2. Will still keep refining the TBF code until it is worthy of merge.
3. Review the completed test suite with mentor and also discuss about
potential HHF details.

Code :
https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/commit/475c13516587785a25f29b031fc04f964d7c29ce

The TBF test suite and documentation can be found in the above link. Feel
free to drop in comments there regarding TBF.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi All,

Here is the week 6 update :

1. Finished verifying the TBF test suite and refined the TBF code :
https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/commit/81ab3093322a21c2bf8be50e6bccd561da2da346
2. Went through the HHF linux code
3. Currently trying to understand the different data structures and
components that would be needed in ns3 for HHF and doing a skeleton HHF
code.

Work Planned in Week 7 :  Keep working on the HHF implementation.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi All,

Work done in Week 7 :

1. Worked on HHF Implementation :
    a. Completed a skeleton of hhf.h and .cc files based on
http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/latest/source/net/sched/sch_hhf.c.
    b. Implementing the Enqueue and Dequeue functions of HHF.
    b. Working on the design of the Multistage filter for classification of
packets.

Currently stuck on a few issues from the implementation perspective :
specially on the usage of wdrr_bucket
<http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/latest/source/net/sched/sch_hhf.c#L119>
structure in some places.

Work planned in Week 8 :

1. Continue working on HHF:
    a. Finish the Multistage filter.
    b. Get a working model of HHF.
2. Prepare and submit code (HHF queue disc alone, user example and test
suite will be done during Phase 3) for Phase 2 review.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi All,

Work done in Week 8 :

1. Worked on the Enqueue and Dequeue functions in HHF Implementation :
    a. Figured out the issues regarding the wdrr_bucket structure and other
data structures used in Linux code.
    b. Report on the detailed working of enqueue and dequeue according to
Linux code is given in [1].
    c. Working on finishing this part of implementation in ns3.

Work Planned in Week 9 :

1. Will shift the TBF review patch from GitHub to Rietveld and publish it
on the mailing list by the end of this week.
2. Also publish the HHF code done so far as a Github commit for review on
the mailing list by the end of this week.
3. Move from Enqueue/Dequeue to Multistage Filter in HHF.

[1]
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/GSOC2017TBFAndHHF#Week_8_.5BJul_18th_-_Jul_25th.5D_:_HHF_user_example

Bests,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi Everyone,

Work done in Week 9 :

1. Finished the Enqueue/Dequeue operations implementation of HHF.
2. Refining the existing design of HHF.
3. Starting with the Multistage Filter in HHF.
4. Created TBF review issue on Rietveld (based on GitHub TBF commit).

HHF Code : https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/tree/HHF

TBF Code for merge review : https://codereview.appspot.com/326150043/

Work Planned in Week 10 :

1. Finish Multistage Filter and with that complete HHF.
2. Design User example and Testing for HHF.

Bests,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi Everyone,

Here is the Week 10 Update :

Work done in Week 10 :

1. Refined Enqueue/Dequeue functions in HHF.
2. Implemented the Multistage Filter in HHF for packet classification.
3. Currently figuring out some macro definitions in HHF Linux code to port
them into ns3. With that will be done with HHF implementation.

Work Planned in Week 11 :

1. Wrap up HHF algorithm.
2. Do a stand alone testing of the functionality.
2. Finish a user example for HHF.

Note : At the current rate, project is lagging by a week with respect to
the initial 12 week GSoC plan. The project might take (need) a 13th Week to
finish off the HHF test suite.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Here is the Week 11 Update :

1. Refined the Multistage Filter in HHF.
2. Still dealing with some minor implementation issues.
3. Wrote a rough user example for HHF.

Code : https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/tree/HHF

Plan for Week 12 :

1. Discuss with mentor regarding the last stages of HHF.
2. Complete the user example, solve the implementation issues in HHF based
on the comments from mentor.
3. Use the user example for a simple testing.
4. Prepare the Phase 3 review consisting of HHF code and user example.
5. Design the test suite.

Bests,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi Everyone,

This has been an amazing summer working with ns3 and here is the winding up
status update of this GSoC project :

Project Status :

TBF code is under review :
https://codereview.appspot.com/326150043/

HHF code is still under development :
https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/commit/9a1f6c71948bf338fc4bb5af9237fee4da8c0f9a

The final summary and report of the project can be found here :
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/GSOC2017TBFAndHHF#GSoC_Wrap_Up_and_Final_Report

Future Work :

1. Address the comments in the TBF review.
2. Remove the errors arising in HHF.
3. Finish the test suite and documentation for HHF.

I will continue to work on the above issues in future.

Regards,
Surya.

Surya.