GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hey everyone,

I am Surya, a student currently doing the 5th year of my 3+2 integrated
programme (BTech in Computer Science and MS in Network Services and
Systems) at KTH, Stockholm. I am happy to be a participant of this year's
Google Summer of Code programme.

My GSoC project involves working with the traffic-control module in ns-3 in
order to implement two traffic shaping algorithms : Token Bucket Filter and
Heavy Hitter filter. These algorithms along with their user examples and
test cases should be done by the end of the GSoC programme phase. My
original proposal along with the tracking of this project's progress has
been mentioned in here :  https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/GSOC2017TBFAndHHF .
Kindly feel free to provide your feedback or comments on it.

I will be discussing the project (the progress) through this thread in the
upcoming weeks.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi everyone,

As the GSoC coding period officially started on May 30th, here is the
weekly update regarding the progress of my project :

Work done in the previous week : Started with the implementation of TBF
based on its implementation in Linux. Created the tbf-queue-disc.h and
tbf-queue-disc.cc files. Currently working on the dequeue functionality of
the token bucket filter which is the tricky part of the implementation.

Work planned for next week : Finish the implementation, do a simple testing
and make necessary changes in .h and .cc files to get everything working.
Also start planning a test-suite.

Project is currently on track with regular discussions and support from my
mentor.

Code :
https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/tree/TBF/src/traffic-control/model

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hey All,

Week2 Progress :

Work Done in Week2 : Almost done with the basic TBF implementation, ran the
traffic-control example to see if the Queue Disc works. Still working on
some aspects in the Dequeue function with respect to the Linux code like
setting up a scheduled timer to awaken the queue during a situation where
there are enough tokens in the bucket to allow the queued up packets to be
transmitted.

Work Planned for Week3 : Start with user-example and test case suite for
TBF and simultaneously refine the TBF code.

Progress was a little slower in Week2 than in Week1, will try to make it up
in the upcoming week.

Code : https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/tree/TBF
Detailed Progress Blog :
https://github.com/tssurya/ns-3-dev-git/wiki/GSoC-Project-Part-1-:-TBF-Implementation-in-ns-3
Project Wiki Page to track Plan versus Execution and Current Status :
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/GSOC2017TBFAndHHF#Phase_1

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.

Re: GSoC 2017 Project Introduction : Implementing TBF and HHF in ns-3

Surya Seetharaman
Hi Everyone,

Week 3 Progress :

Work Done in Work 3 :

1. Finished TBF DoDequeue() and got it working.
2. With that completed all functionalities in tbf.h and tbf.cc files.
3. Finished coding the TBF user example (using the RED traffic-control
example as the basis).
4. Using the example, tested the basic working of TBF; it seems to behave
as expected but need to do further testing.
5. Currently starting with the TBF test-case suite.

Work Planned for Week 4 :

1. Code the TBF test case suite.
2. Do overall TBF testing and refine the existing code accordingly.
3. Prepare and submit code for Phase 1 review.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me or
raise an issue in the Github repository.

Best Regards,
Surya.

Surya.