Doubt regarding installation of a prerequisite

Doubt regarding installation of a prerequisite

Charu Bansal
Hello,

I am following this tutorial to install ns3 on my machine -
https://www.nsnam.org/docs/release/3.26/tutorial/html/getting-started.html
As a prerequisite stated here
<https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Installation#Ubuntu.2FDebian> , we are supposed
to install python API scanning support. I have Ubuntu 16.04, and it states
that I need a patch and a build to allow gccxml to work.

Being new to the community, I am unaware of how I should go through this
step. Also the github page for gccxml states that it has been updated to
castxml. Could someone provide me some guidance in getting the things done
in the correct manner?

Regards,
Charu Bansal
Undergrad, Computer Science and Engineering
Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for Women

Re: Doubt regarding installation of a prerequisite

Tom Henderson-2
On 03/05/2017 10:33 AM, Charu Bansal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am following this tutorial to install ns3 on my machine -
> https://www.nsnam.org/docs/release/3.26/tutorial/html/getting-started.html
> As a prerequisite stated here
> <https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/Installation#Ubuntu.2FDebian> , we are supposed
> to install python API scanning support. I have Ubuntu 16.04, and it states
> that I need a patch and a build to allow gccxml to work.
Hi Charu,
Normally these questions can be directed to the ns-3-users forum, but
I'll answer this one here.

Python API scanning is typically only needed if you are using the Python
bindings and are also editing the ns-3 header files.  This is otherwise
an optional component.

> Being new to the community, I am unaware of how I should go through this
> step. Also the github page for gccxml states that it has been updated to
> castxml. Could someone provide me some guidance in getting the things done
> in the correct manner?

Someone is presently working on transitioning to CastXML.  In the
meantime, the workaround is to use a gcc-4 series compiler.  For Ubuntu
16.04, you can install g++-4.9 from apt and use that to build gccxml.