Applying to Google Code-In (GCI) 2019

Mohit P. Tahiliani
Hello everyone,

ns-3 will apply this year for participating in Google Code-In (GCI).

GCI is an attempt to introduce pre-university students (ages 13 - 17) to
open source software development. It is a 7 week contest starting from
December 2, 2019 till January 23, 2020. More details about GCI are
available here:

https://codein.withgoogle.com/about/

Selected Open source organizations provide a (long) list of short
tasks (3 - 5 hours) related to the following categories: coding,
documentation, training, outreach, research, quality assurance, and design.

Students select tasks that they wish to work on and earn prizes for
successful completion of the tasks.

ns-3 successfully participated in GCI 2018. As on today, the tasks related
to ns-3 app store completed in GCI 2018 have been merged in the mainline of
app store, and in the past week we merged couple of tasks in ns-3-dev. I'll
be generating a series of merge requests in the next two days to push all
GCI 2018 tasks to ns-3-dev. Please take a look at the nature of these tasks
to get a better idea about GCI works, and also help us in reviewing these
patches.

More details of our participation in GCI 2018 are here:
https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/GCI2018Details

We are looking for mentors who would be interested in preparing the list of
short tasks and mentoring the students in GCI 2019. The roles and
responsibilities of
the mentor are available here:

https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/help/responsibilities#mentor_responsibilities

GCI is a good opportunity to get the documentation done for the modules
that currently do not have one, improve the existing documentation, code
quality checks, screening content on website/wiki, developing new programs
to improve the tutorial and other similar tasks.

Please let us know if you are interested to mentor students for GCI. The
application deadline is Monday, October 28, 2019.

Thanks and Regards,
Mohit P. Tahiliani

Re: Applying to Google Code-In (GCI) 2019

Tom Henderson-2
On 10/24/19 9:51 PM, Mohit P. Tahiliani wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> ns-3 will apply this year for participating in Google Code-In (GCI).
>
> GCI is an attempt to introduce pre-university students (ages 13 - 17) to
> open source software development. It is a 7 week contest starting from
> December 2, 2019 till January 23, 2020. More details about GCI are
> available here:
>
> https://codein.withgoogle.com/about/
>
> Selected Open source organizations provide a (long) list of short
> tasks (3 - 5 hours) related to the following categories: coding,
> documentation, training, outreach, research, quality assurance, and design.
>
> Students select tasks that they wish to work on and earn prizes for
> successful completion of the tasks.
>
> ns-3 successfully participated in GCI 2018. As on today, the tasks related
> to ns-3 app store completed in GCI 2018 have been merged in the mainline of
> app store, and in the past week we merged couple of tasks in ns-3-dev. I'll
> be generating a series of merge requests in the next two days to push all
> GCI 2018 tasks to ns-3-dev. Please take a look at the nature of these tasks
> to get a better idea about GCI works, and also help us in reviewing these
> patches.
>
> More details of our participation in GCI 2018 are here:
> https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/GCI2018Details
>
> We are looking for mentors who would be interested in preparing the list of
> short tasks and mentoring the students in GCI 2019. The roles and
> responsibilities of
> the mentor are available here:
>
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/help/responsibilities#mentor_responsibilities
>
> GCI is a good opportunity to get the documentation done for the modules
> that currently do not have one, improve the existing documentation, code
> quality checks, screening content on website/wiki, developing new programs
> to improve the tutorial and other similar tasks.
>
> Please let us know if you are interested to mentor students for GCI. The
> application deadline is Monday, October 28, 2019.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Mohit P. Tahiliani

Mohit, how can people submit task ideas for the contest?  Are you
storing on a wiki or a Google GCI site?  Should all task submissions be
submitted directly to you?

Do tasks need to be submitted by Monday so that they are considered in
our application review?

Re: Applying to Google Code-In (GCI) 2019

Mohit P. Tahiliani
Hi Tom,

I'm storing the tasks in a local document because we have to open the tasks
publicly after the contest begins. I'll upload this document with tasks to
GCI site while submitting our application. So for now, interested mentors
can send their tasks to me (or we can share a Google document among
interested mentors), and I would organize them before submitting to Google.

If we get selected, GCI organizers will provide us a dashboard where
mentors can then directly upload the tasks.

It is nice to have some tasks ready while submitting the application for
review. If selected, more tasks can be added (even after the contest
begins).

Our last year's GCI tasks can be used as a reference to prepare tasks for
this year:
https://codein.withgoogle.com/archive/2018/organization/5152211763986432/task/

Let me know if any further information is required.

Thanks,
Mohit P. Tahiliani