About project idea (User-friendlly internet-apps) and implentation of ping

About project idea (User-friendlly internet-apps) and implentation of ping

Shivam
hello,
Thanks for giving out reply to my previous message that i have sent to you.
   Now as you said i read the basics of ping from the wikipedia, and gone
through the man page of the ping application.
After that you have said that i should be implementing the code that is
written in the ns-3 about ping and go on implementing it on the few example
to check and feel how ping is actually working in the ns-3.
But I am not able to implement it in the examples ,I am not able to
transform the ping app from the code to the other examples . So can you
please guide me towards implementing the code of ping in the examples? I am
new to ns-3 so it's quite difficult for me to implement the code of ping in
the examples
Thanks
Shivam(India)

Re: About project idea (User-friendlly internet-apps) and implentation of ping

Tom Henderson-2
On 03/26/2017 06:20 PM, Shivam wrote:

> hello,
> Thanks for giving out reply to my previous message that i have sent to
> you.
>    Now as you said i read the basics of ping from the wikipedia, and gone
> through the man page of the ping application.
> After that you have said that i should be implementing the code that is
> written in the ns-3 about ping and go on implementing it on the few
> example
> to check and feel how ping is actually working in the ns-3.
> But I am not able to implement it in the examples ,I am not able to
> transform the ping app from the code to the other examples . So can you
> please guide me towards implementing the code of ping in the examples?
> I am
> new to ns-3 so it's quite difficult for me to implement the code of
> ping in
> the examples
> Thanks
> Shivam(India)

Hello Shivam,
I suggest that you run the program
./waf --run 'rip-simple-network --showPings'
to see how it works presently in ns-3.  Then you may want to inspect the
v4ping.cc implementation and check how it differs from the
implementation.  As I mentioned, ping is already implemented, and can
display basic output, but what if, for instance, a user wanted to obtain
the output of two separate pings, or to limit the counts of pings, or to
set the DSCP value, etc.?

If you have further questions, please contact me directly or upload a
draft application to the Google summer of code site so that mentors can
provide feedback.